Breastfeeding/Pumping Check-In 5/23/17 Jun 1, 2017 21:35:44 GMT -5 via Tapatalk
Post by pinkmickey24 on Jun 1, 2017 21:35:44 GMT -5
pinkmickey24 I had similar issues with ds2. He wasn't gaining or losing every 2-3 days. A couple things:
1. Have you seen an LC to make sure he has a good latch? Do you hear swallowing sounds? The LC at the hospital said DS2 had a good latch, but apparently he wasn't actually swallowing anything.
2. Can you do a weighted feed with an LC or pedi?
3. Ideally, you should try to nurse at least every two hours at this point. It will encourage your supply and ensure your LO is eating enough. If she's not up to birth weight yet, you would wake her every two hours around the clock to eat.
4. Are you combo feeding with a bottle? If you haven't already, you can try a SNS system. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but will help your LOs latch and your supply.
GL! Let me know if you have any questions. I've been there, and it's so hard! Hang in there. You are doing great, mama!
1. I saw two LCs in the hospital. Plus, the NP at the pediatricians office who works with breastfeeding moms who are struggling. She has a small mouth and her tongue doesn't come forward enough when sucking, so we did suck training. I do hear her swallowing. I have to work to keep her stimulated because she gets sleepy and lazy.
2. A weighted feed may be an option I can ask about. I'm happy to say she gained 2 ounces since Tuesday. We go back Monday for another weight check.
3. We are using the bottle for supplementing. We did SNS with the boys and had the option this time. I chose not to do it in all honesty because of how much of a PITA it was, and it added to my stress level. However, she sits straight up and the bottle is horizontal unangled per LC to make her work and practice her suck.
I appreciate your help.