Post by schmella on May 13, 2015 20:08:00 GMT -5
Hoping to get some input on my situation. My ILs have offered to host a shower for our us in DH's hometown, about 5 hours away. They have also offered to host a shower where we live, but I think its unreasonable expect 15 people to travel 5 hours for a shower- I think an invitation like that screams gift grab. Anywho, I originally agreed that we would drive out and spend the weekend for a shower.
Unfortunately, my pregnancy is considered high risk and that creates an issue around timing. Obviously, with a high risk of miscarriage, we want to wait as long as possible, at the very least after 26 weeks (when if delivered, they could survive). However, it is highly likely that I will have travel restrictions and possibly be put on bedrest by 30 weeks, and I will most likely deliver early (35w). That leaves a small window, very early in the pregnancy, for a baby shower. To add to this complication, my SIL is also pregnant and her shower (hosted by the same people) is planned right in the middle of this. I certainly can't travel twice in this window, and I don't want to strain the hosts or the guests that would be invited to both. My ILs will not accept no for an answer- Due to timing, they were unable to throw me a bridal shower and these events are a very big deal to DHs family.
So considering the circumstances, would it be acceptable for my ILs to host a shower after the babies are born? I'll have showers in my hometown hosted by my family and by some close friends before their arrival, but my ILs would be so disappointed if they couldn't host a traditional shower for us...